The North Borneo Railway features a British Vulcan steam locomotive. The engine is designed for wood burning, a costly yet more environmental form of steam. Refurbished to create the nostalgic romance of the bygone era of the Colonial days of British North Borneo, the train allows all passengers to experience the beauty of countryside and the unique sights and sound of Sabah landscape on board a vintage steam engine train.
The North Borneo Railway features a British Vulcan steam locomotive. The engine is designed for wood burning, a costly yet more environmental form of steam. Stepping into the engine is an opportunity to jump back into the shoes of a child, bringing back childhood dreams of pulling on the whistle as the massive train rolls through the countryside. The train also features five Japanese-designed carriages that have been meticulously restored and renovated to reflect the era of the steam train. Although the carriages were built in the 1970s, both the exterior and interior provide an environment that is typical of stepping onto a train in the 1900s. The exterior utilizes the traditional deep green and cream of the original North Borneo Railway, with carved brass logos on the sides measuring 3 feet by 2 feet on each carriage. The interior highlights the natural woods of Sabah. Each set seats four passengers, with a table in between to facilitate the dining experience.
Holiday idea: Ride a 123-year-old steam train in Borneo while eating lunch out of old-school tiffin carriers. #CelebrateAsia
Posted by CNA on Monday, 11 November 2019
Celebrate Asia: Travel back in time on Borneo’s oldest running steam train.
North Borneo Railway feature video by CNA Lifestyle
- The train runs every Wednesday and Saturday only.
- Boarding Time: 9.30am Tanjung Aru Station
- Passengers are offered free seating on one of the five colonial-style train carriages.
- Each carriage provides the amenity of a modern unisex washroom.
- Each carriage accommodates 16 passengers, with a total train capacity of 80 passengers.
- Windows remain open throughout the journey to enhance the overall heritage experience.
- High-powered fans line the ceilings to ensure maximum comfort.
- Early booking is required prior a day before departure.